Saturday, January 10, 2009

Okay...I have a confession

My confession is I'm in a homesteader funk, just 10 days into my new years resolution.  I figured I would get to this point eventually, but I didn't think it would come this soon.  Yesterday was horrible.  I knew I was dreading doing anything, but the winter doldrums were too much to take.

I realized late last night, though, that I was engaging in some homesteader activities even though I wasn't actually producing anything tangible.  My husband and I got our first seed catalogues of the year in the mail and we started talking about our garden.  It is so much fun to pour through the different varieties of corn, tomatoes, squash, peppers and gourds!  I'm such a foodie!  I get so excited thinking of all the culinary possibilities! I'm all excited because we'll get to plant beets this year and I LOVE pickled beets.  I was so disheartened when I saw that High Fructose Corn Syrup was an ingredient in canned beets from the store!  I'm not one of those hippies that needs everything to be organic or anything, but High Fructose Corn Syrup is bad for you...so is Trans Fat, so I avoid both.  We have a list of veggies that we want to start from seed and my husband is looking into getting grow lights to start them indoors. 

Today, as far as motivation goes, is a different story.  I just finished a pot of Southwestern Vegetable Soup (from the Ball Blue Book again) and we are going to have it for lunch and what we don't eat, I'll can.  It is quite spicy, but the husband really likes spicy food, so I know he'll gobble it up.  I may also try another batch of something with the ground deer.  We'll see if the jars seal better this time.

2 comments:

  1. The garden is going to be awesome this year! And hopefully less expensive then last year. Starting everything form seed will save a boatload of money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our expenses usually go way up when we try to do something to save money and don't follow through. Perseverance is the name of the game!

    ReplyDelete