Monday, January 5, 2009

Finally! I started the marmalade!

I finally found time to start on the marmalade.  I'm making a half batch of orange marmalade and a double batch of grapefruit marmalade.  I searched high and low for an orange marmalade recipe after a friend gave us several oranges and two grapefruits.  Only a few of the oranges got eaten and no one touched the grapefruits.  I finally found recipes for both marmalades in the trusty old Ball Blue Book.  

You have to remove the peel and slice it thinly and then chop up the pulp, add water and boil it and then let that mixture sit for 12-18 hours.  Right now, both batches are sitting on the counter.  It is supposed to be an icy day tomorrow, so I'll stay home and can marmalade.

I also posted to my mom's group website that I was thinking about selling our surplus eggs and starting an egg route.  I already have two people interested!  I'm pretty excited and if I get enough customers, it will justify buying more baby chicks in the spring.  Right now our 20 chickens lay about 6-7 eggs a day.  I wouldn't be able to have a ton of people on my egg route, but I could start a waiting list if more people are interested.  Here in a few months, we'll be getting even more eggs.  I wonder if I can sell other stuff like that too, like soap.

No comments:

Post a Comment