Friday, January 16, 2009

Bread

Last night I tried the no knead easy bread recipe from the Mother Earth News website.  The idea is to make a big batch of dough and keep it in the fridge, taking out grapefruit size balls of dough at a time to bake.  I made the recipe that uses 3 cups water, 1 1/2 tbsp of yeast, 1 1/2 tbsp of salt and 6 1/2 cups of flour.

I found the directions to be a little confusing so I don't know if it turned out correctly.  The recipe kept emphasizing that the dough needs to be wet...I got an EXTREMELY wet dough.  It was the consistency of that toy slime they used to sell.  It just kind of globbed and dripped between my fingers.  I added enough flour to the "grapefruit sized ball" to actually make it a relatively round shape and let it rise.  It didn't make a big loaf of bread...maybe dinner sized with four servings.  It was really dense though, which I like really dense breads, and it was kind of salty, so I didn't need to add butter to it. (I'm finding that most of the time when you want to put butter on something, you really want to put salt on it.  Garlic salt mixed with walnut oil is a great substitute for butter flavor.)

The recipe says that as the dough ages in the fridge, it gets more of a sour dough quality to it and the taste continues to improve.  I'll let you know what it does.  So far the recipe is 5 stars for taste and a 2 stars for ease of use.  I'll make another loaf this afternoon and we'll see what the difference is.

2 comments:

  1. So how is the bread coming along?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the bread was really good. We made the last loaf last week for dinner and it did start to get a sour dough taste. I'm going to make a double batch next time and I think that will last closer to two weeks. I did end up adding more flour to the whole batch because the slimy dough was getting on my nerves. I don't think it affected it too much. Joe thought it was good, but he is on a quest for good sandwich bread so we don't have to buy bread from Krogers anymore. I have found frozen bread dough at Save a Lot that works good for that and it is nice because it keeps in the freezer, but you are still grocery store dependent. So I will try to keep a batch of this dough in the fridge to eat with deer roast and spaghetti and whatever else and keep looking for a sandwich bread recipe!

    Thanks for reading...I didn't know you were reading my blog!

    ReplyDelete