Wednesday, January 7, 2009

I know...I skipped a day...

Well, the marmalade venture was a success.  I got four half-pints of orange marmalade and nine half-pints of grapefruit marmalade.  They even jelled well!  Now I just have to figure out what to do with it all.  We do use jelly, especially with peanut butter, but I have to be careful not to make too much.  I was thinking that I could heat up the grapefruit marmalade and thin it a little and use it as a dressing on fruit salad.  I still, though, can't get past the weird taste of grapefruit.  I love the initial sour taste, but the bitter aftertaste gets me.  My husband really likes it, though, so I guess he'll eat his own fair share of it.  

The only real complication I had with the marmalade was getting it to boil down.  I boiled and stirred those pots forever...the grapefruit I stirred for almost 40 minutes.  I found that I can do the gel test better with a metal spoon than a plastic one, but even with a metal spoon, I was just getting drops, not really gel falling off the spoon in sheets.  It is solid at room temperature, though, so I guess I did it right.

I didn't do any homesteader activities today. :(  I didn't even go out to feed the rabbits and the chickens.  My husband had to do it when he got home from work.  Wednesday night is bible study night and on a whim I decided yesterday to prepare a lesson.  I guess I made the lesson up from scratch, so is that considered a homestead activity?  Probably not one any of my blog readers are particularly interested in.  I also spent the day frantically cleaning the house.  I thought about mixing up a homemade cleaner, but that just wasn't in the cards for today.  Maybe another day.  My lesson turned out okay.  I didn't like it much, but they decided to do the second part next week, so either they liked it, they were just being nice, or they are lazy and don't want to come up with their own thing.  I guess it doesn't really matter, we were studying the bible and talking about God and that is all that counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment